Sunday, August 28, 2016

The good, the bad, the "I feel great!" to the "I’m going to throw up!" and finally, the absolute blessed…

Mom here…. I’m tired but feeling so much gratitude that I wanted to post as many, many friends and family have reached out for an update :)

It’s been a whirlwind!  Friday at 8am we went in for Blu’s first Chemo and 4.5 hours .....





Almost 5 hours later, we were out!!!




We got home and she felt great and almost immediately she wanted to do arts and crafts.  Jet came home from Damma’s (my mom’s), and Liv wanted to go outside and play... all the while I am thinking…what did they put in the chemo??


All that said, several hours later she was clutching her head and bawling her eyes out to "make it stop hurting" so lesson #1; it can all turn on a dime.  Once comforted and calm, she slept well and right next to us the entire night.  It is a fairly standard that both kids sleep next to us LOL!  I woke on Saturday to this little angel :) For 9 days straight, Max and I slept within a few feet of her, we just can't not have her next to us...




My mommy senses started tingling with an idea so I called Dr. Choo and asked, “If she is feeling well and her body is probably the best its going to be for the next 6-9 months, can she go to the first day or two of school?”  I just thought if she felt ok, if she wasn’t susceptible yet….wouldn’t this be the ideal/perfect time to meet her class, meet her teacher, and at least feel like she is a part of a class?  Dr. Choo said, ”Yeah sure, she can totally go the first two days”.  OMG OMG OMG….This was  a dream come true for me (and us all)!!! Liv, LOVES school.  It comes so easy for her, she LOVES her friends, and she thrives on it.  I told Max with tears streaming down my face and of course his response “Damn you’re a great mom!”   

Obviously this meant new lunch boxes, and school supplies were in order.... even if they'll only be used for 2 half days…. right??  Wrong....

Yesterday morning we went to Target (bad Mommy call) and Liv started saying her tummy hurt.  I instantly started to sweat.  I mean, like, I was running a marathon sweat.  "Oh my god, did I go to far? Should I have kept her home?  Did her happy attitude and overall positive demeanor steer me wrong?"  She then said, “I have to throw up!"  And EFffff if I didn’t race her to the bathroom and leave the cart full of all the new school supplies and everything.  Result; no actual vomit but lesson #1 reinforced :) 

Speaking of school supplies and the start of school... let me take a second to drop some mommy knowledge I came across last year; Mabel’s Labels.  They make these amazing stickers (Think DMV license plate sticker strength so they withstand washer/dryer machines and dishwashers) and I put them on everything lol!  So... backpacks, jackets, lunch boxes, and water bottles are all now tagged and ready for Day-1!  And who knows, maybe she will feel terrible Monday morning and we won’t go, or maybe she will be great.  Either way, in true Craig Woman Fashion (CWF), these kids are prepared, they will be 10 min early (because anyone who grew up with a parent in the Navy knows if you aren't 10 min early you're basically late) and damnit if I didn't do everything possible to make sure none of their stuff will be lost... ever!  It got to the point that Jet actually said "Mom, one sticker per item is enough."  Ok, ok I'll stop :D 




Today I made up Liv's "meds container" for all of her meds.  I made an identical one for her biological dads house so I am confident that everything she needs will be there as well.  Liv picked out the cute holder and I am happy to have this done.  Nausea meds, constipation meds, fever stuff, ginger, Miralax, Tumeric... the list goes on and on and but now, at least, I can feel good I've done all I can to make sure she has what she needs even when I can't be with her :)





Our neighbor Gretchen’s mom made this fantastic pillow case for Liv.  It came with special pens that everyone can use to write a special message and then once you iron the pillow case the messages become permanent and won’t wash off!  We have been having everyone sign and it is quite the masterpiece!!!  If you find yourself in the neighborhood you are welcome to stop by and find a spot and sign :)





Liv's great-grandma and grandpa (although not feeling well themselves) have instructed my Aunt Janet to make sure Liv gets a little surprise each and every day for a few weeks. A sweet card and maybe a coloring book, or a little pack of colorful clay, or a new set of markers... just something for her to open so she knows they are thinking of her. They always arrive in these colorful envelopes and Liv has come to love when the mail man shows up :-) Thank you Grandma and Grandpa- get well soon!!!





When she cries my stress levels rise to ridiculous levels but I’m so grateful that overall she, and we, are doing great.  We got this super cool book from the nurses in the Chemo department called "I'm a Child Living with Cancer"  It goes through exactly what Blu is going through and explains everything so well.  There is page that talks about losing your hair and that it could possibly grow back different.  It could grow back straight, or maybe curly... or maybe even a different color.  Liv's positive response, "OMG how cool!!  Maybe mine will grow back Purple!!!!"  Gotta love her spirit!! 





So, overall Liv had to run to the bathroom twice and her head hurt a few times but all-in-all... she's been reeeeeallllly good.  That said, lesson #1 is always at the front of our mind so we're prepared for anything.  Praying that she wakes up feeling ready to skip her happy little butt into school tomorrow.  We will see!




2 comments:

  1. I'm so sad to hear this news. The Laifa boys: Jude and Tristan both love Liv. We hope to see her at school tomorrow. Please let us know if we can help in any way. Praying for you guys, Jen and Christophe Laifa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! Who does Jude have this year?? She had a great several (half days) but haven't seen any of her former classmates!

    ReplyDelete